I have served this yummy soup, every year on Black Friday, ever since the kids were little and I think they look forward to it more than Thanksgiving dinner...me too! It is a very simple soup that is also super-fast to throw together, which makes it a perfect meal for anytime of the year.
- 1 large onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 green Italian pepper
- 3 large carrots
- 1 large tomato
- 2 cups cooked turkey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons canola (or vegetable) oil
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 6 cups water
- 3 cups uncooked noodles
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop onion, celery, pepper, carrots and tomato.
2. Heat butter and oil in large stock pot, until butter is melted.
3. Stir in chopped vegetables and saute for 5 minutes.
4. Add chicken stock and water, stir. Cover and simmer on low until stock begins to boil (about 10 minutes).
5. Add cooked turkey (shredded or chopped, you choose)
6. Stir in uncooked noodles and simmer uncovered on low, until noodles are cooked, salt and pepper to taste.
This is also a great soup base to play around with and reacts well with additions of root vegetables, or substituting cooked chicken perhaps, along with some of your favorite chopped herbs.
You can change up the type of noodle and feel free to use frozen vegetables, if you don't happen to have fresh on hand.
For a cream-style soup: add 1/4 cup flour to pot when sauteing veggies and then substitute 2 cups milk for 2 cups of the water.
Serve with a warm buttered roll (or crusty bread) and you're good to go -- ENJOY!!!